Friday, June 27, 2008

Parenting Advice Needed

**UPDATE**
Thanks everyone for all the great advice! I'm geared up to try any and all if necessary. However, an unexpected solution MAY have surfaced on its own. Yesterday a sweet little girl (still not mentioning any names) with 5 baby (but still very sharp) teeth, happened to crawl over and clamp down pretty hard on a certain little boys big toe. Lots of crying ensued (and a little bit of laughter). Just maybe this will teach him a lesson. We'll see. If not, I have the soap and Tabasco sauce ready!


I'm not mentioning any names here, but how do you effectively discipline a 2 year old little boy who likes to bite his older sister?? Any ideas? Discuss it amongst yourselves! THANKS!

16 comments:

ashley said...

Hey julie...i had this problem with my two year old and it took one time of washing her mouth out with soap and problem solved. I didn't want to do it but now am so glad I did. Ash

Tucker Dansie said...

Have Halle bite back. Then it will just take care of itself.

Natalie said...

Timeouts worked for us. Since he's 2, have him sit in timeout for 2 minutes and then have him apologize to Halle and give her a hug.

Also, raising your voice and screaming at your biter seems to scare them pretty good. Don't ask me how I know this.

Terry Family said...

My friend had this happen with one of her kids and she would flick them on the side of the mouth, or do the soap thing...good luck!

Mary said...

Hey Jules,
You know I've struggled with this for the past 2+ years. But, just recently I had had enough so I pulled out the tabasco sauce and put a drop on his (no names mentioned of course) tongue and it seemed to shock him enough to think twice! We'll give him another couple of weeks to see if it really works! Good luck!!!

Mark said...

I tried biting back. it didn't work

DeDee said...

Funny...the ONLY thing that worked for my kids was biting them back. I don't think they realize how bad it hurts until you show them.

(Obviously I will not be getting the Parent-of-the-Year award.)

Wendi said...

I think that these ladies have it covered... good luck. Sophie used to bite me while nursing.. I had to flick the nose... grrr.

Todd and Lisa said...

Good luck. Let me know what works. Kai hasn't started biting. Yet.......

Kris said...

Could any of you tell me what to do when your wife (not mentioning names) keeps trying to bite you. Never had problems with the kids, sorry.

Todd and Lisa said...

Go Halle! It's great when the kids take care of things like this for you. I hope it works!

kecia said...

how funny that this may have worked itself out-hopefully!
by the way the new paper on your blog is cute!

Todd and Lisa said...

Oops, I think I mean, Go Avery!

Mark said...

Kris - that is called foreplay.

Julie said...

Mark & Kris, would you please keep the foreplay discussions to your OWN blogs! Thanks!

Mark said...

Julie - you need to get over your embarrasment on the subject. The love between a husband and wife is a special thing and should really be celebrated. If you need assistance, have Tucker give me a call and I will give him a refresher, you know..."the talk."