(I wish I had a picture to go along with this post, but that would be kind of weird if I did!)
I thought I'd share a little bit about our friend "Stan" that works at the library that we frequent. I don't think he's a "librarian" exactly, but he's worked there for a long time so he might as well be. He's probably the exact opposite of what you picture a librarian to be though.
He's a skater/rocker/smoker/crazy haired guy. He's the last person you'd expect to see working at the library. This all said, he's also the nicest guy ever. For some reason he has taken it upon himself to be our (mine, Kecia's & Mary's) personal library assistant.
For example: A few weeks ago I took Aidan to story time and we checked out 3 movies. Normally I don't like to get movies from the library because I ALWAYS forget to return them when they are due and at $1 a day I'm bound to have a fine. This time was no exception. I didn't get them returned the day they were due or the day after or the day after that...actually an entire week went by before I remembered we still had them. That's $3 a day for 7 days...yikes! $21 in library fines. I was ticked at myself for being so forgetful all the time. I come to find out that the day the movies were actually due, Stan asked Mary (who had remembered to take her books back on time) if I needed my movies renewed. Oddly enough, Mary doesn't keep tabs on my library material or when it's due, so she didn't know. Stan took it upon himself to login to my account and renew my 3 movies for me. So that $21 fine I thought I had, never really existed, thanks to Stan. This isn't the first time he's done this either. This has been going on for the past 3 or 4 years! When we do accrue fines, Stan always makes them magically disappear. He definitely goes above and beyond his job requirements.
I've often wondered how many people he does this for. Maybe we're not really as special as we think we are. Maybe you're reading this and thinking, hey that sounds like my personal library assistant. Oh well, I'll still continue to check my books out with Stan because It's good to know that he's there checking up on my library needs. (Tucker actually finds it kind of creepy!) I wish I had a "Stan" in other areas of my life to keep me on track and forgive me of my very forgetful brain.
(*name changed to protect "Stan's" true identity!)
9 comments:
Good old "Stan"! That cracked me up. I think we need to get a picture with him next time! Can I mention that his comments freak me out a little? At least he keeps the library exciting!
I like the name, Stan. :)
Who is this "Stan" and how do I acquire his services? I could use a little help with my library return habits too.
holy crap - I TOTALLY know who you're talking about!!! That guy actually freaks me out! I make sure to never go to him to check out books cuz he's just too creepy! And He TOTALLY doesn't look like a librarian - too funny!
I didn't know he took away fines though- hmmmm, I may have to start being braves and going in his line!!!
Ha ha .. that is awesome..Stan is your library man!! I actually find the rocker/weird hair people really nice most the time. I think they automatically think you are super cool if you can be genuinely treat them with respect w/out letting their appearance scare you away. Sounds like this is true with you and stanny boy!! :D P.S. love the blog background. Darling.
yes everyone needs a "Stan" in their life! I like to think that we are the only special ones he likes to help out!
I'm on Tucker's side--I think it's kind of creepy. But at least it's saving you cash. :)
Julie, as I read your blog, I knew exactly who you were talking about, and I thought to myself, "Gee, it must've been a while since I went to that library, because I didn't remember his name was Stan!" Oh! Yeah, the first impression for me was odd, but he really is so nice and thoughtful! I agree that a picture, though helpful to the story, WOULD be a bit much!
I love that as we were talking about this at book club everyone who frequents that library knew who you were talking about. Creepy, yes, but well worth it!!!
Post a Comment