
I've never bought the real Moon Sand just cause I think it looks like one GIANT mess but Halle asks me to buy it every time we see it at the store. Those darn commercials brainwash kids into thinking its the greatest thing since sliced bread. Personally, I don't see what is so great about it! Maybe we'll make it sometime and I'll let you know if its really worth the mess!
Just in case you want to experiment with it yourself...
Recipe for homemade moon sand (1 batch)
6 cups of play sand
3 cups of cornstarch
1 1/2 cups of cold water
Step one: Mix the water and cornstarch together thoroughly, this will take a few minutes to get it nice and smooth.
Step two: Gradually mix in the sand, one cup at a time. You'll need to really work it in with your fingers.
Step three: Play with it!
Step four: When you're all done, pop it in an airtight container.
Step five: When you next play with it, you'll need to revive it with 2-3 tablespoons of water. Just sprinkle it over and work it in.
That's all there is to it. Very cheap, very easy and the kids will get to play with heaps of the stuff. Play sand also comes in different colors, so buy different colored bags to mix things up a little. Have fun!
9 comments:
Nice tip, Jules! Maybe one day when I'm a good mom that plays with my kids I'll do that! PS Are you taking belly dancing with me???
Another idea is to put a DVD in and tell your kids to be quiet and watch a show.
I love your new blog look. It's one of my favorite kits. Can I go on the record and say that Moonsand is waaay overrated? It's like playing with sand inside your house. It's completely messy. Adam got some for his birthday and he played with it twice before it disappeared. :)
I've heard this stuff is a huge mess. Don't think I'll use your recipe anytime soon, no offense. :) We'll play in the sand in the summer thank you.
I just have two more words: Bows and fondue.
I'm with Brooke- sand is for the outdoors, in the summer. Maybe we'll try it then. Thanks for the recipe! I love the new look of your blog, too!
I agree, sand is a mess. It is like playdough only worse. and I won't let my kids play with that in the house either.
i have the same feelings about this stuff! Lida had mentioned she was going to get it for the girls and i am secretly relieved she didn't. By the way LOVE the pic of Avery on the side! She looks too big and super cute!
oh I hate this stuff - I made the mistake of buying it for Bailee for Christmas!!
Julie,
I'm evesdropping on your blog from a link on my sister-in-law, Emilee's blog. She told me you had an awesome book list posted. One tip, DON'T EVERY BUY MOON SAND!! It is the biggest mess ever and we could never get the darn stuff to work. All in all...big flop!!! Thanks for the fun recipe. Much more fun for the kiddos!!!
Post a Comment