


Don't be deceived by this sweet happy child you see. She has an alternate personality that has surfaced in the last week and I'm not quite sure how to deal with it yet! She loves Avery and loves holding her, but she has clearly put a damper on Halle's life and she's dealing with it in a not so pleasant way. Just so I can remember this one day..here are a few of the better moments we've experience in the last 6 days!
On Sunday, our sweet neighbor Jan stopped by with a delicious plate of brownies. As she was holding Avery, Halle decides to roll on the floor in her dress and run around the living room, throwing pillows every where. I calmly asked her to settle down several times, only to be ignored several times. Finally I told her if she was going to act like this than she needed to go to her room. She then proceeds to go up stairs to her room...wow that was way too easy...seconds later she is slamming her bedroom door. Halle isn't perfect by any means, but this is something she has NEVER done before. I was so embarrassed that my neighbor witnessed this whole incident!
Today my friend Kristen came by to visit and brought us lunch. As she was leaving Halle was asking if she could watch a movie, but not politely. I was trying to talk and say goodbye and she kept asking over and over again. The idea of waiting for 3 minutes wasn't an option. The second Kristen was gone she demanded to have a popsicle, and when I told her that I didn't think she deserved one, she laid down on the floor and said, "I'm done being in this family!" I tried really hard not to laugh cause it was hilarious at the time. Is this really my almost 5 year old daughter I'm watching??
I realize in all this she is just wanting our attention and I'm feeling like a bad mom that I'm only able to spread myself so thin right now. Halle keeps saying "Nobody likes me anymore!" It makes me really sad to hear this. I want to give her the attention that she needs and wants and spend some quality time with just her, but I haven't figured it out yet. I guess the hardest part of it all is that I have been completely caught off guard by this behavior. She wasn't this way at all when Aidan was born. I'm hoping that once things settle down and we can get our lives back on schedule with some sort of normalcy, that my sweet loving Halle will return to our home. Until then, just prepare yourself before you decide to come visit our family!
5 comments:
Poor Amy, there's never a dull moment when she's around. That girl has STORIES! :) And I'm sorry, but I laughed my head off about the "I'm done being in this family" comment. Such drama. I'm sure it'll get better, Halle is a great kid. :)
Don't worry it definently gets better! And eventually she will just love having a little sister.
Amy definitely learned the fine technique of "awesome aunting" from me. I remember dragging you kids everywhere and how much fun it was for me! Tell Halle "hi" for me and maybe she and I can hang out some time . . . catch a movie, or go find some "reindeer". By the way - Avery is beautiful. Would I expect anything less? I can't wait to meet her.
Love you guys,
Lynne
That Barbie mayhem looks crazy! I'm glad I didn't decide to venture out to the zoo that day.
Things with Halle will get better. Kids adjust quickly. She's just trying to find her place with the new baby. Make sure you give her some responsibility with the new baby to help her feel important. That always helped my kids. Good luck!
Oh Halle, it is hard being the oldest! They deal with alot I think and they aren't always sure how to handle it. You are doing just fine as the mom! Hang in there!
Post a Comment