Thursday, April 30, 2009

Dental Woes

I took Halle & Aidan to the dentist yesterday. They were great and both cavity free...YEAH! I did have a good talk with the dentist about Halle's thumb sucking issue. She's SIX and still doing it at night and occasionally during the day if she's tired. Her problem is that she's mostly doing it subconsciously and doesn't even realize it. I asked him what my options were, and its not pretty. Literally!

They'd have to cement this "fence" appliance into her mouth and it would make it so she couldn't create a suction between her thumb and the roof of her mouth. It would have to stay in for a whole year though. Also because she's loosing her baby teeth now, it would be pretty noticeable. After talking with her dentist I decided we'd think about it and if in six months she was still sucking her thumb then we'd consider it.

After telling Halle that this was an option, she FREAKED out and cried the whole way home from the dentist. As we were driving home she said, "Mom, its times like this that I wonder why we are even born. Life is just so hard!" I had to hold my laughter in, but I felt bad that she was so concerned about it. How I wish this would be the hardest thing she would ever deal with in her life.

So she has six months to kick the habit. Her dentist said that usually it only takes 30 days to quit a habit, but that's not the case for kids. Especially when its something she's been doing probably since the womb! Last night we taped it up and after crying for a while because she couldn't go to sleep, she said a prayer and finally fell asleep. I taped it up again when she got home from school and hopefully that will help. I did find THIS cool thing that I might have her try if she's still struggling.

Wish us luck...and any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm sure they're are others that have been through this before!

7 comments:

Heather Ridge said...

Halle can do it! I can relate a bit in the fact that Brooke is a die hard thumb-sucker. It really is a problem.....we haven't done too much to stop it, but after reading this I think I might have to start doing something sooner than later.

Jamie Bailey said...

That is so funny what she said on the way home! So cute! I cut the tip off my son's binki to break him of the habit, but I guess you can't do that with a thumb. :) I wish I had better advice. Good luck!

Mary said...

Boy do I feel your pain!!! Just last week the dentist told Scott he needed to stop sucking his. Weel, now Scott CLAIMS that he doesn't suck anymore (but does it all the time without even thinking!). And, Jane's whole mouth is changing because of her darned thumb! I'm definitely going to check back often to see if your lovely readers offer some tips! Thanks for posting what's on my mind, as well as yours!! And, best of luck to Halle - she's a doll!

Prilla said...

The only other things I've heard of are putting something on the thumb that tastes gross. Tabasco sauce (but it also could burn the skin), and I know there is another one that is used primarily for thumbsucking, but not sure what it's called or where you get it. We used to babysit a girl when I was a kid that had a major problem and tried the nasty tasting stuff and it didn't work, so they had to do the mouth appliance. It did work.

Linds Forrest said...

Oh how sweet is that about her 'life is so hard' comment. What a sweet sweet girl!! I hope she kicks the habit. She can do it!! Good luck to you as well!

kecia said...

I love Halle's dramatic comments! I really hope for both of your sakes that she kicks it before that lovely mouth piece. Good Luck!

Natalie said...

Good luck to Halle as she tries to kick the habit. I laughed a little at her comment about how hard life is. She's such a cute girl!