Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve started out with our annual omelet and scone breakfast with Tucker's family. Its my favorite breakfast of the whole year. We ate so much that I couldn't even think about food until later that night. The kids had lots of fun playing with their cousins and Uncle Mason who is just the biggest kid of them all!
Waiting for breakfast.

Avery was fascinated with Grandma's dolls that moved.

Grandpa got an early Christmas present from Grandma and he let the grand kids help him open it. It was a big train set. They all went down stairs and immediately got it all set up and they took turns driving it around the track.

We then exchanged our family gifts. Mason and Mary gave us a really cute indoor miniature golf set and a chocolate lab webkin that resembles 2 of their dogs. The kids loved it. Then Grandpa and Grandma passed out presents to each of the grandkids. It was fun to see what everyone got. After that Grandma Judy let all the grand kids pick one her angels that she's collected over the years to keep. Halle had been eyeing them for a long time and knew just which one she wanted...of course it was sparkly. Avery was in desperate need of a nap by this point so we loaded up the car and headed home for a couple of hours of quiet.


We went to my parents house around 4 o'clock and had a yummy dinner of ham, cheesy potatoes, veggies, fruit, jello salad, and rolls. After dinner we sang some Christmas songs, watched a Christmas Video (courtesy of Tucker), and then my dad shared a really neat Christmas message.

We ended the night with some yummy dessert, peppermint ice cream and hot fudge. So yummy. Then the kids opened up their Christmas jammies and this year nobody was sick so I actually got some pictures.




Then we headed home to put out the cookies and milk for Santa. Halle was worried that she wasn't going to be able to fall asleep quick enough and she'd ruin Christmas for all of us. I think she was asleep before her head hit the pillow.

Then began the behind the scenes work. How I wish I had lots of little elves to help with all the finishing touches of Christmas Eve. At about 10 o'clock we realized that we had neglected to get batteries. Tucker drove around to a few stores before finding a 24-hour Walgreens that was still open. It must have been the only place open because he wasn't the only person there. We got the presents wrapped and made it to bed by midnight. I also think I was asleep before I hit the pillow. It was a great day and I love that we got to spend it with both of our families.

2 comments:

Woodbury Fam said...

i love the breakfast tradition! That is so fun. We were up until just after midnight. Isn't Christmas Eve fun!

Chereebee said...

What fun traditions you have! And I love your kiddos all matchy in their childrens place sweaters - too cute!!! Halle is looking so old to me these day! We sure miss you guys!